Thursday, April 09, 2009

wanting it to happen

My favorite part of Perelandra, the first book in Lewis' space trilogy, is the part in which Weston is making a speech which Ransom is translating into Malacandrian. It brings an amazing amount of clarity to silly humanist reasoning. Here's just the last bit.
"I may fall," said Weston. "But while I live I will not, with such a key in my hand, consent to close the gates of the future on my race. What lies in that future, beyond our present ken, passes imagination to conceive: it is enough for me that there is a Beyond."
"He is saying," Ransom translated, "that he will not stop trying to do all this unless you kill him. And he says that though he doesn't know what will happen to the creatures sprung from us, he wants it to happen very much."

3 comments:

Marathon said...

Wow. Yeah, I love that part.

Fred & Leon said...

That was really good Sarah... thanks for sharing!

~Emily

Peter said...

That is an AMAZING book. It's about time for a re-read for me. Excellent selection.