Friday, February 20, 2009

I just finished reading Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge. I was really impressed.

Goudge has some slightly unorthodox views of religion, I think, or at least there are hints of that kind in this book. However there is a great deal of wisdom contained within its pages.

It is not a nice book at all. Happiness is elusive for most of the characters in the book. Also it holds a mirror up to the selfish, striving complaining woman that I am, and that really wasn't pleasant at all.

The lessons to be learned about the nature of love and humility are priceless. Most wonderful of is for a book to show honestly what the cost of real self-sacrificing love. I have been encouraged to work harder, and more importantly to complain less.

This book would certainly be much more appealing to women than men. I think its intended audience is women, but I do believe that a guy could learn a lot from it as well. It has its silly, sentimental moments, but has many poignant, awesome insights as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been getting interested in Elizabeth Goudge lately. A good friend of mine in MN, has most of her books in their families library. Would this be a book you would highly recommend or is there a different book of hers you enjoyed more? I'm very interested and would love it if you'd share with me about this.

-LIndsey

Sarie said...

Well, I'm actually only just now becoming familiar with Goudge, myself. I read a couple of her children's fantasy books when I was younger, and one of them, Linnets and Valerians, was my favorite book for a while...sort of a second Narnia for me.

Green Dolphin Street is the first of her books for adults that I have read. I would highly recommend it. It took a while for me to see its virtues, but it was worth the effort!

I'm reading The Dean's Watch right now, which is somewhat shorter, but almost as good, though it lacks some of the tension that made Green Dolphin Street interesting to me.

They have both been very inspiring and encouraging to me already, and I can't believe I've allowed them to sit so long on the shelf without touching them!