Friday, September 26, 2008

Objective Observer, my foot!

I'm reading Winston Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples and finding that, regardless of anything, I'm loyal to jolly old England (at least so far-I suppose that'll change when the US comes on the scene.) Anyway, I can't help but wonder at how different the world would look to me if I were raised in France, or Italy, or Russia, or anywhere but here.

I suppose it's the same thing that goes on during the Olympics. I still want the US to win. I don't think I could help it if I tried. I can despise our government, hate our stupidity, look down on most of our citizens, but I couldn't really hate the whole thing if I tried. And if I was in a foreign country for an extended period of time, I don't suppose much would make happier than meeting another American. Funny how that works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I clicked the link to your blog from the Pontification Ad Nauseuam blog, mainly because I liked your opinions of Mr. Darcy as opposed to Mr. Knightley....and lo and behold, I find a very neat blog with lots of wonderful insights into Scripture and great literature. It made my day :)

Sarie said...

Why, thank you!

I have to say, your comment made my day, so we're equal. :D