Wednesday, February 07, 2007

When you say you love me, do you mean it?

Having been deeply caught up in the work of trying to practice what I preach and put my principles in action, I have been away some time from my accustomed thinking ground: this here blog.

I have been thinking some about love. "Love your neighbor as yourself" and all that. I've come to the same conclusion as I have countless times before, that love isn't a feeling; it's something you do. If you love someone, you take care of them and serve them. Or, rather, not "if;" that can be misconstrued. Instead, when you take care of them and serve them, then you are loving them. This eventually brings up the warm feeling that you expect. When I help my mother with the housework that's when that "warm feeling" towards her is strongest. This is not, I think, merely because I have placed myself in her shoes and understand, but because I have loved her so I feel towards her those feelings which suit love the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Searching for an open ended Bible-focused discussion group in Des Moines, that is not age-segregated, my search came up with one of your October posts. Since you share my aversion to age segregation, I wonder if you share my longing for free Bible discussion? Do you know of such a group? Or would you be interested in joining ours? At ours, you can choose to be televised, or not; we sometimes tape for the Uncle Ed. Show, which airs on channel 15.


In Jesus' Name (Col 3:17)
Dave Leach
137 E. Leach
Des Moines IA 50315
cell 515/480-3398
BibleWizard@Saltshaker.US
Listed in Marquis' "Who's Who in America"
(This is to balance the other stuff you've heard)